YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
This is the only forum that I could see that fits my question.

I want to buy a SAMSUNG TAB S2 9.7" and I have tried Cellular World (Tuban) and I was told Toko Mar (??) didn't have them either.
Does anyone know where else I can try, by phone first. I don't know this end of the island much at all.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Cellular World has one demo model but no new stock. I think the model I want is now superceded, but it's still a beautiful piece of kit. Around 6.8jt.

20160905_114858.jpg

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #2

Thanks, but I want to see it when I buy. Indotech (Singaraja) runs thru all the features when you get something there.

I just got back from trying to buy the Cellular World demo model but he said he cannot sell it and there's no original packaging.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Post #2

Thanks, but I want to see it when I buy. Indotech (Singaraja) runs thru all the features when you get something there.

I just got back from trying to buy the Cellular World demo model but he said he cannot sell it and there's no original packaging.

Fair enough, but there's plenty of youtube videos and comparison reviews online.

IMHO you'll be hard pressed to get honest and helpful advice from a sales person in Indonesia. Like almost everything here, it's best if you can do it yourself . . . well . . . not everything. ;)

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #5

Fair enough, but there's plenty of youtube videos and comparison reviews online.

I checked one out when I saw your info, thanks. Even though the Indian dude spoke too fast at times, I still got the idea.

IMHO you'll be hard pressed to get honest and helpful advice from a sales person in Indonesia. Like almost everything here, it's best if you can do it yourself . . . well . . . not everything. ;)

You are quite correct there.

I have had an interesting day between 11:00 and 14:00. After going through that routine where what you say floats past their ears and becomes mildly annoying (I thought I had gotten past all that), I decided to get a few edibles and orange juice, etc. I had made a list over a period of time and then it occurred to me that if things aren't working when you expect them to be, there must be the yang side to that. I asked someone about this 'Toko Mar' and it doesn't exist. Ah ha! I was onto something and had a chat about it and discovered it is really Teuku Umar. I learned the SAMSUNG store was next to the IBIS Hotel there, and it's in the Silicon Valley of Cellphones as well. With nothing else to do before finally shopping with my list I set out to the SAMSUNG store to see what they had. I saw their demo model of the tablet I want and asked the sales chick 'ada stok?' She did something I think is not in any proper Sales Course material. She smiled happily and said 'Sori, no stok'. Because it was the SAMSUNG office and because she said 'not know' when I asked her when more stok come, I started treading water, so to speak. I then asked where I could get one. She pointed across the busy road and mumbled some store name. She also suggested Cellular World and I said they have no stok. I said can you call across the road to see if they have one. She said different boss but her colleague offered to call.
Guess what! They had one, and in black. AAaah yang, you've done it again. I said tell them to hold that for me and I will go there now. The SAMSUNG guard (must be named Moses) parted a way for me thru the traffic and I was there. I went inside to the chirpy bird calls of Hello from 4 or 5 young chicks and some guy said Hello and I said you are holding SAMSUNG S2 Tab 9.7 for me. He said 'Oh Yes' and I went to their demo model and said like this one.
Anyhow, it took a good 30+ minutes to go through all their little steps and get the device powered up and proof of working and I was then the proud holder of what I wanted.
I had asked the guy during the payment phase 'How many more you have in stok?' Yep, it was the last one. I needn't have asked but I was a little excited by then.
I left to the same set of birdy cheep-cheeps and told myself how you can't keep a good man down.

Ha Ha in fact I was so happy I was standing there thinking I should tell someone to call me a cab and the guy replying "You're a cab". Ha Ha

Then some shopping and lunch and now I will start to caress this device until I pass out from exhaustion.

The end.

Oh yeah. Harga. Their list was 6.8jt. I said OK. A while later he didn't like the exchange rate they got from my card and said I must pay 2rts more. Out came 2 reds. So, 7jt. Sure, more than the Malaysian opportunity and more than eBay but it's mine now and a bird in the hand . . . .

Last edited:

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Ha Ha in fact I was so happy I was standing there thinking I should tell someone to call me a cab and the guy replying "You're a cab". Ha Ha

Hilarious! Well done.

I'm convinced that these sort of days are what gives life a bit of spice . . . when you're retired. I can't put up with these "adventures" while I'm still working. Oh well, I've only got to wait 30 more years before I can appreciate it all.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I'm glad you had an adventure and found it. I bought a Tab S2 8" a year ago from Bhinneka - they were new then and no Bali stores that I knew of had them. It's a great tablet, and it recently updated itself from the Lollipop Android that it came with to Marshmallow - pretty impressive. Bhinneka still list the 8" model, but not the 9.7". Both Lazada (Indonesia) and Tokopedia have the 9.7" listed. Enjoy your new toy.

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #8

I bought a Tab S2 8" a year ago from Bhinneka - they were new then and no Bali stores that I knew of had them. It's a great tablet, and it recently updated itself from the Lollipop Android that it came with to Marshmallow - pretty impressive. Bhinneka still list the 8" model, but not the 9.7". Both Lazada (Indonesia) and Tokopedia have the 9.7" listed. Enjoy your new toy.

You can get the 8" now, here, easily, for around 1jt less. There is a good reason to get the 8" - it is smaller, and easier to hold in your hand. The 9.7" really needs to be rested somewhere after not long of holding it, and an A-frame cover/stand is my next mission, from an accessory store.

But when I saw the 9.7" demo version presenting newspaper articles and pics of animals, I was immediately swayed because of the screen size. The overall quality seems to be exactly like the 8" and I would have got the 8" if I had drawn blanks yesterday.

I will look at my OpSys to get Marshmallow - I cant recall which it has now. And I d/loaded a free SAMSUNG MP3 player app (very clear sound just out of the speakers) and a free SAMSUNG copy app last night because I want to share things across from my GALAXY HP and try a Win8.1 connection too. 32GB isnt much really these days but its enough for a plane ride's entertainment and for typing the odd thoughts/plans along the way. I have an iPad 3 which is still a great device - I use it to play backgammon on trips and check emails and as a Skype phone. I will get this new Tablet up with that and then increase its smarts after that.

The 9.7" comes with MS Office - Excel, Word, etc, which is awesome. I will find out how to dump Office files to my Win8.1 laptop because I use Word these days more than Excel.

Its all good clean fun.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Personally I can't understand the attraction of these things - they aren't a pc but cost as much as a decent laptop and you can't type for **** on them either. They're too big to fit in a pocket or bellybag and break easy. The other stuff that everyone says they are good at, photos, youtube, music my phone can do just as well. What you need a computer for - programming, video editing, website construction, data sheets, excel, etc these pads say they can do but all anyone does is watch ****. Guess they are easier to hold in one hand, huh?

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Personally I can't understand the attraction of these things - they aren't a pc but cost as much as a decent laptop and you can't type for **** on them either. They're too big to fit in a pocket or bellybag and break easy. The other stuff that everyone says they are good at, photos, youtube, music my phone can do just as well. What you need a computer for - programming, video editing, website construction, data sheets, excel, etc these pads say they can do but all anyone does is watch ****. Guess they are easier to hold in one hand, huh?

I agree with a lot you say.
But they are good if you are sitting on the couch watching TV and just sort of playing about.

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #10

Personally I can't understand the attraction of these things

Why do people have iPads? Same thing really. Put it in your bag and you've got Internet, email, Skype - all on the go, as well as music and movies. You can play Backgammon and/or Chess and/or Checkers. Business people use them to show photo streams of what they are selling. I also have a phone that does lots but the screen is too small to enjoy. Next time you are flying somewhere, look around and ask someone what they use their tablet for.

I use 17" laptops. I have stopped trying to use one on a tray table. It stays in my bag until I get there.

I agree PCs are better suited for "programming, video editing, website construction, data sheets, excel, etc", so have both devices!

Also, why have a nice car when an old clunker will still get you around.

Up to you.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Post #10

Why do people have iPads? Same thing really. Put it in your bag and you've got Internet, email, Skype - all on the go, as well as music and movies. You can play Backgammon and/or Chess and/or Checkers. Business people use them to show photo streams of what they are selling. I also have a phone that does lots but the screen is too small to enjoy. Just toured East Java with my Iphone - internet, skype, Google maps (less said the better) etc. If I have a "life" I don't need to enjoy my large screen now do I?

Next time you are flying somewhere, look around and ask someone what they use their tablet for.They're all looking at the headrest of the guy in front of them.

I use 17" laptops. I have stopped trying to use one on a tray table. It stays in my bag until I get there. Same as that. They're wayyy tooo big to fit on those funky little fold down tables and in "slave" class there just aint room to type or do anything.

I agree PCs are better suited for "programming, video editing, website construction, data sheets, excel, etc", so have both devices!

Also, why have a nice car when an old clunker will still get you around.

Up to you.

All you can do on the pads is watch ****/movies. Everyone just gets suckered into "needing" the next piece of crap from the market. I believe it's called "marketing"...

For the price you paid for one 9 inch screen (my dick is bigger) I can buy 2, yes two, Acer laptops with 14 inch screens (almost as big as mine) Bhinneka Promo.

Then you write "an A-frame cover/stand is my next mission" WTF? Get a laptop dude!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I value my tablet highly for reading e-books. The page looks just like a paper-back page. I have friends who read books on iPhones - but I think this gives a claustrophobic experience,

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
All you can do on the pads is watch ****/movies. Everyone just gets suckered into "needing" the next piece of crap from the market. I believe it's called "marketing"...

For the price you paid for one 9 inch screen (my dick is bigger) I can buy 2, yes two, Acer laptops with 14 inch screens (almost as big as mine) Bhinneka Promo.

Then you write "an A-frame cover/stand is my next mission" WTF? Get a laptop dude!

Who would ever buy 1 Acer laptop never mind 2.
You are further gone than I thought
You also need to get with the times.

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #13

What these things boil down to is it is your choice. If you are happy with an iPhone screen size and what the device can do then stick with it. Tim Cook is bringing out a new one anyway - maybe already just did.

I agree with Post #15 - Acer schmacer. I wouldn't have one even if it was free. Asus the same. I am a DELL guy.

"Get a laptop dude!" Huh? Short memory. Remember the tray table talk?
I have 2 * 17" DELLs. One old and slow, and one ageing.
One thing I could use now though is a small cushion to rest my new A-frame on when in bed reading on the 'Tablet.
With a nice colour scheme of tropical blues, etc, like the tail art on a Garuda jet.

But, as I said, it's your call for what you go with, if anything at all. There's too much choice really.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
All the different "uses" of these pads reminds me of the saying all photographers know "the best camera is the one you have with you". I always have my stupid "Preeeeccccciouuuuussss" (iphony) with me, even in fecking bed! So I read ebooks on it (no claustrophobia to be found), watch Youtube (sssshhhhh and feck films too), can hold it in one hand (obviously) without strain or pain.

Trust me I'm a gizmo freak from way back but am still looking for a valid reason to buy a pad, unsuccessfully.

Just invested in a big feckoff 4k monitor/tv and a desktop comp that is top of the line (at the mo) having given up on all rationalized uses for laptops. In my experience this fiddly little stuff (laptops/phones/pads/phads/etc) don't do very well here in the tropics - rust/bugs/geckos/salt/humidity. For instance all the USB slots in my last lappy rusted up hence my choice of a real pc - all those parts can be easily replaced and everything "mobile" goes on the phone anyway.

But what do I know?

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I have been using an acer laptop for 4 yrs and never had a problem,also bought a Samsung laptop 2 yrs ago ,within one week had to send it back to Samsung and has never worked right since,,there are people who still believe that the more expensive things are the better they are, bull s***t.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Also had an Acer - great and trustworthy lappy. My eternal gripe with Lappies/pads/etc is they are a sealed box and only as long-lived as their weakest component. Anything dies, it all dies. How many posts you seen on FarceBook about people breaking their $20 screen and begging for someone to repair the $500 phone?

YPDN think it's gonna be tough to find a replacement screen on the last pad in Bali?

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #19

I am not thinking that far ahead. If that happens then it happens.
Today, my laptop charger got zapped thru a wall socket.
%^&%%@###!!
Finally got a half-way solution going.

During the laptop downtime I was glad to have a Tablet with which to read emails.