Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok Johnny there's a large piece of well aged cheese in my fridge with your name on it so all you need to do is come by and get it.

As to the browser story-good luck, I still think that's the problem otherwise the Google browser would show the same symptoms.

Why would you need to be able to address expanded memory (32bit versus 64bit) from your browser? Your PC needs to do that to save and recall your massive **** downloads but the browser could care less it's just a stupid user interface with some bells and whistles.

Good luck

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Not sure when I'll be in the Candi Dasa area next to collect my cheese. Also, I don't know your address (PM?).
Or maybe your crab mate could drop it off in Sanur?

...otherwise the Google browser would show the same symptoms..
The Google browser does show the same symptoms.

Why would you need to be able to address expanded memory (32bit versus 64bit) from your browser? Your PC needs to do that to save and recall your massive **** downloads but the browser could care less it's just a stupid user interface with some bells and whistles.
Imagine you have a truck which has to deliver a load to some destination. Takes time.
What if you had two (or more trucks)? Still takes time but you can carry more stuff simultaneously.
What if you had to rent a truck and the company only rents a maximum of one (32-bit)?
Another company will rent you however many you want (64-bit).

As I said before, with a 64-bit system you can install both 32-bit and 64-bit browsers (optional), or both versions of other software (like Photoshop).
A 64-bit computer with 8, or 16 GB of RAM will generally be much snappier than a 32-bit one with a maximum 4 GB of RAM.

Of that 4 GB (max) RAM, only about 3 GB is available for your computing tasks. When there's not enough RAM left, the system sends stuff to "virtual RAM" (aka page file, swap file),
which is an area set aside somewhere on a slower hard drive. Intensive computer tasks, like video editing, dealing with large photographs, etc, means the hard disk thrashes around more trying to send stuff back to the RAM.
Things overall slow down quite a lot, as a result.

I think that these days, most new computers are 64-bit, for obvious reasons.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Internet seemed really slow this morning and just as a precaution unplugged the tv. Has anyone noticed the ip tv causing any interference?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Internet seemed really slow this morning and just as a precaution unplugged the tv. Has anyone noticed the ip tv causing any interference?
My usual speed tests come up as normal. However, a lot more "Connection Resets".

I don't think that the TV part would make any difference. However, sometimes a TV channel will freeze. Click another one and it's OK. Click back and the frozen one works again.
WTF? Is this a momentary "Sun outage" event (possible). I don't know how UseeTV works (satellite-based?).

Meanwhile, still waiting for a Telkom tech to show up (I complained again last night).

:grumpy:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Interesting about the techs. Do you dial the 147 JKT number? As an example, our remote stopped working and they came and replaced it the next day. Also we have a friend who applied to get Indihome in the Singaraja office and they said it would take about 3 months. My wife calls them up in JKT and they just laughed hearing that, and they said they would get onto it straight away. I was dubious about JKT being helpful, but they do seem to be pretty responsive now.

I

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Interesting about the techs. Do you dial the 147 JKT number?
Yes and I'm sick of it. When this scenario first started, they came or "did something" pretty quick. Except that what they "did" didn't fix anything.

I'm now losing count of how many times I've reported/complained about the issue. Rang again last night - not a whisper today.
Maybe I was too brutal in reporting my "displeasure", again.
Will probably ring again tomorrow, or maybe soon, go in person to the Telkom office in Denpasar and get to speak to some long-legged Indonesian bimbo and enjoy watching her trying to walk around around in her high-heels.

Today's been the worst day, so far. Nearly every second attempt to open a weblink comes up with "Connection Reset".
Maybe it's getting worse...
I have a suspicion that something's not right in the Denpasar end of IndiHome (wouldn't surprise me).

If the next tech guy comes along and only changes my DNS settings (again), I might kick him in the balls, and/or let his motorbike tyres down.
Stay tuned.

:icon_question:

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You Sanur guys are pretty hard core!

Wonder why they don't come round anymore when their tires get let down or they get kicked in the balls - techs in the west just love that kind of treatment...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Tonight the page connections are first going to the 404 "page not found" for a brief moment and then on to the desired page. No need to reset or press "reload".

Some weird fecking stuff!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok the problems have stopped on my meager sim card connection so I'm wondering if you big boys with your fiber optics have similar glad tidings?

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
When it comes to understanding virtual this or that and how to circumvent this, that or the other, I am truly a dummy. All I know is that my internet speeds here in Ubud are far superior to those that I could have access to back in Oz.
Go figure.
"You can't always get what you want but if you try sometime, you get what you need. Ohhh yeah."
If you don't get it do you really need it?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Ok the problems have stopped on my meager sim card connection so I'm wondering if you big boys with your fiber optics have similar glad tidings?

To be honest have not seen any change and have just gotten into the habit of turning on my VPN.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
On this topic, I have recently been trying a service called Unblock-Us without success so far, but got this quote from their technical assistance.
Is PT Telkom your internet service provider in Indonesia? If so, let me inform you that this ISP is known of to hijack the DNS. We have been getting the same report from other PT Telkom users of not being able to use the service. It is also evident on the nslookup results that you have sent us showing an incorrect response.
I am not totally clear what he means by "hijack the DNS", but certainly Telkom is doing something to block access to lnetflix, reddit, and thepiratebay among others. And I am guessing the unblock-us are giving up on Telkom customers.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
On this topic, I have recently been trying a service called Unblock-Us without success so far, but got this quote from their technical assistance.

I am not totally clear what he means by "hijack the DNS", but certainly Telkom is doing something to block access to lnetflix, reddit, and thepiratebay among others. And I am guessing the unblock-us are giving up on Telkom customers.

Ron this is exactly the service I use UnBlock-Us for the DNS PROXY(ok Markit).
I am ready to change as their technical service has become slow I now need to wait four days for an answer and even then the solutions don't even work.
Netflix are giving them a run for there money in terms of UnBlock-Us getting around Netflix blocking users using US content and other countries worldwide.
I have been blocked a few times like thousands of others by Netflix trying access US content . I get back on sometimes after a fix but only for a week or so and am waiting for Unblock US to get me a new fix.
I am currently on a 15day free trial from GetFlix they seem to have a better way round this problem.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Girls, you are in a battle that you cannot win. Netflix is what you want and they then broadcast their offering(s) at some web address.

Happy days all those that get that address.

Bad new for those that live somewhere where they want to block that address - cause it's easy to block it.

Forget Netflix and jubilee torrents because you can not stop them by blocking some web address.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I get the impression that unblock-us may be giving up on Indonesian Telkom users. I will explore a couple of others. The free ZenMate browser based VPN does allow you to get US content like nbc.com, but I am more interested is UK and Aust.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Girls, you are in a battle that you cannot win. Netflix is what you want and they then broadcast their offering(s) at some web address.

Happy days all those that get that address.

Bad new for those that live somewhere where they want to block that address - cause it's easy to block it.

Forget Netflix and jubilee torrents because you can not stop them by blocking some web address.

Its all about money Netflix don't care what I watch as long as I pay my subscription.
I happen to pay in Australia and a such get the Netflix Australian content which is crap the US have about 5 times the content.
The reason I like multitudes of subscribers use a DNS proxy is to get decent content.
Its the program makers who are pushing Netflix to block as they have program deals with the TV stations around the world.
Aussie are cancelling their subscriptions recently and Netflix has stopped growing here. There are 10s of thousands in Australia alone who use VPNs or a DNS proxy to get the US content.
Just think how many subscribers around the world use this type of service it must be millions.
I believe Netflix can't win and the VPN/DNS proxy companies NEED to get and will get around this or they are out of business..
p.s I am now back on with US content with Un-Block US

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I've almost given up trying to pinpoint the IndiHome problem, (which is still there). I know some Balinese people who have businesses like hotels in Sanur and their guests have been complaining about "Connection Reset" and/or "Empty Response" messages. The two are the same thing, just depends on which browser you're using.

I received four emails from Telkom, last week (?), within minutes of each other, stating they were "working on it".
That was after I'd complained for the 6th time and the guy in Surabaya started an "emergency report". Heard nothing since.

Using my VPN seems to get around this, which begs the question:
Why should I have to use a VPN to access legit websites when it wasn't a problem when I signed up?