SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
In my hunt for a watermaker for my boat I came across this -thought I'd share with those on the 'Pod who might have access to non-potable water & shortage of clean drinking water.
It works with seawater, so there should be no problem with river or collected rainwater... not sure how it would work drawing from a paddy field tho.
The high pressure supply unit has options for either electric or stand alone Petrol / Gasoline - Honda 50cc 4 stroke - which might suit those more 'off the grid' than others

Rainman Desalination

Shipped from Australia - pricing for Indon is here: Rainman Desalination Pricing

Probable cost for 100-140lph : around US$5k (+/-)

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
This company in Sanur installs water filtration systems on liveaboards throughout Indonesia.

CAT - Desalination Units - Watermakers - Reverse Osmosis - Indonesia, Asia Pacific

They are behind Nemo Wetsuits. Very good quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Thanks...That IS useful to know.... I will check it out.

I posted the Rainman link mainly because it is portable and (at about 30kg) can be carried to any part of a property that happens to have water.... so it doesn't have to be a permanent installation.

Any idea of their pricing structure?

Last edited:

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Sorry, no idea about their pricing.

Nice boat! I could open the facebook page but your website seems to be offline. Is it sailing yet?

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Hopefully launching in April/May ... wind, waves dependent

Pics need updating - we've moved the carpentry forward a lot since the most recent upload

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hopefully launching in April/May ... wind, waves dependent

Pics need updating - we've moved the carpentry forward a lot since the most recent upload

Nice project SHoggard.....I'll bet you'll be a happy man when it's launched and sailing well....congratulations.

I'm sometimes on another forum where the conversation is about the visit of a historic ship called 'Vega' and currently moored in Penang.
Apparently the husband and wife crew sail Indonesia, pick-up handicrafts/foods and sell them when they reach bigger ports, like Jakarta, Singapore and Penang, and donate the proceeds back to the villages on their next trip around.

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
Reverse osmosis is indeed a great technology...to turn salt water into drinking water. However both its high purchase price AND its high power requirement to operate it limit its application to 1. people with no other water sources than saltwater i.e boaters or 2. gadget freaks who don't mind spending the money. But to treat "paddy water" with reverse osmosis would be like driving your ferrari to the bakery around the corner. There are litteraly a 100 time cheaper ways to treat your water -non salty that is- such as ceramic filters and it's available in Bali : https://kopernik.info/. Other technologies now available include nano particle filters -also available from Kopernik and other outlets. Personally i've been using for a few years now a sawyer filter that gets connected to a bucket filled with any type of pond water and it comes out drinkable. Best part is it last for years and gravity is all it takes to run it.
However, for boaters there is also an interesting product on the kopernik page -no i have no share of their business ;)- it only gets you 20l a day but that meets the minimum requirements..and again no power but the sun required. On cloudy day you'll drink Bintang :)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Reverse osmosis is indeed a great technology...to turn salt water into drinking water. However both its high purchase price AND its high power requirement to operate it limit its application to 1. people with no other water sources than saltwater i.e boaters or 2. gadget freaks who don't mind spending the money. But to treat "paddy water" with reverse osmosis would be like driving your ferrari to the bakery around the corner. There are litteraly a 100 time cheaper ways to treat your water -non salty that is- such as ceramic filters and it's available in Bali : https://kopernik.info/. Other technologies now available include nano particle filters -also available from Kopernik and other outlets. Personally i've been using for a few years now a sawyer filter that gets connected to a bucket filled with any type of pond water and it comes out drinkable. Best part is it last for years and gravity is all it takes to run it.
However, for boaters there is also an interesting product on the kopernik page -no i have no share of their business ;)- it only gets you 20l a day but that meets the minimum requirements..and again no power but the sun required. On cloudy day you'll drink Bintang :)

What a grand devise! I want - will go to their shop in Ubud:
Address: Jl. Raya Pengosekan, Ubud, Kab. Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia

Phone:+62 361 977233