Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home schooling in Bali?

Tourist

Default Home schooling in Bali?

Is there anybody home schooling in Bali? I will be in Bali for quite a while with my kids. Not planning to send them to school there. Is there any expat homeschooling groups or activities, communauty centers? Will it be easy for my daughters to socialize?

wondering...

Barbie

Default RE: Home schooling in Bali?

Where in Bali are you planning to live? I'm a primary schoolteacher and looking for a job like that.....but I'm around Ubud

Tourist

Default Re: RE: Home schooling in Bali?

I am not sure where we'll be staying. I want to build a house. Still looking. You like it around Ubud? Have you been there for quite a while?

Babie

Tourist

Default Re: RE: Home schooling in Bali?

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet
    Where in Bali are you planning to live? I'm a primary schoolteacher and looking for a job like that.....but I'm around Ubud

Actually I meant that I will be living around Ubud, starting July, sorry! But I hope I will like it :)

I'll be homeschooling in Bali beginning in July...my daughter is nearly 8. We should continue this conversation...I'd be pleased to hook up with other families and perhaps share a part-time teacher.

b.t.w., Does anyone know if John Hardy still has the Steiner teacher from Australia teaching/homeschooling his children?

Roy
    Insane Poster

Lise, John’s kids are in the US. They are only in Bali during the Summer months.

Barbie and Margriet…contact me when you get settled in. A number of us expats in Ubud with kids are considering this option. The daily compute to Denpasar or Sanur is grueling.

BUT…with that being said, most of us also feel that 100% home schooling is not good either. We all feel there is a great need for our kids to socialize with other kids, and develop those skills as well. The majority of opinion on home schooling here is as an augmentation to regular schooling.

Exactly, Roy. That's why I'm hoping to connect with other families and perhaps share a part-time teacher. I've been in California doing some work and it's becoming the trend here...the children meet a few times a week for a few classes together and socialization. Also, different parents who have specialized skills 'host' the children for classes.

What's the current school situation in Ubud? Did anything new ever materialize? There were a few things in the works when I left but projects seem to fizzle out rapidly there.

Roy
    Insane Poster

I am embarrassed to admit this, but I’ve forgotten the name of the founder of the International School in Sanur who was seriously thinking about doing the same thing in Ubud. He died some three or so years ago, so that dream went with him.

In the years since, the number of expats with kids in the Ubud area has grown substantially. Within this community however, there are great financial voids. Some are very well off, others are not. All however share a great friendship and a very serious commitment to the education of their kids.

Except for pre-school and kindergarten, most all the expats I know do not use Ubud based schools. The only decent school here, for that early level is Suta Dharma.

The concept of part time home schooling would go over very well here. We’ve all talked about it, and we all agree of the importance such a venue would be for our kids.

Tons of details need to be discussed, worked out and formulated into general agreement, but for sure, you can count me in, and you can also count on many more.

I was trying to hire a classroom in a school to be able to teach, but since I will come on a social budaya visum that's not possible. I already found a space to teach small amounts of children for just 1 or 2 times a week. The only problem then is the books and materials that I need. Or do the children have those?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast