Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedy?

Regular

Default Speedy?

I'm in Bali for a few days and am having problems connecting to the forum using Speedy. I'm also having problems connecting to sites ONLY in Europe. I'm sending this via my Ausralian server which seems to have no problems. I believe the Oz backbone link is via the Pacific. It seems that there may be a problem with the internet backbone out of Bali to Europe but NOT Java, Australia and the US. In my experience, calling 147 is a waste of time. Anyone (Or, anyone who can connect!!) have any info?

Default Re: Speedy?

Interesting to know Mike, as I had been having some trouble lately with Global and a freind has just ditched them and switched to Speedy which he says is much better. I was thinking of getting in touch if things didnt improve but I guess there can be problems with all the ISPs.
    http://www.mimpimanis.com/

It's hard to say, exactly. Many variables involved, such as where you are, how far from the nearest Speedy node, the condition of the wiring in the place where you are, has the telephone bill been paid, etc. Even the computer you're trying to use might have a "problem" (like your hosts file might be blocking stuff).

I believe there is still some drama going on with some broken cables somewhere in the Mediterranean which might be affecting you. Then again, I'm in Bali right now, too, and my Speedy connection seems fine.

Mystery.

It's also possible that your computer has picked up some nasty virus, malware, spyware, etc. Do you have up-to-date signatures for those things? When was the last time you ran a complete scan on your system? Have your fire-wall settings changed ? Sorry to sound so vague but these are all potential "problems".

I know this is no real help for you but at least you know that some Speedy connections are working fine. Your's could be a "local problem". Good luck anyhow.

:(

One other thing I just thought of you could try.
    Clear your web-browser's cache.
    Might just do the trick.

Regular

Thanks for all the quick inputs. This really strange! I can connect to any Australian/US/Indonesian site but NOT sites in Europe, which I assume includes this forum? Admin?
    I'm sending this via a connection though my VPN in Oz but I still can't connect directly via Speedy. The problem is not shared by others so that's progress. Thanks again for all the help.

Regular

JC: I'm behind a firewall and multiple anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Never had a virus/malware problem yet but thanks for the idea.

Regular

JC:
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I first noticed the problem when my AVG Pro would not update. They are based in The Czech Republic, so, the Europe connection. Then I could not connect directly to this forum. Strangest problem I ever had!

I think it's unlikely that your problem has anything to do with European internet traffic.

I don't know what operating system you're using because you didn't say. (Is it Windows XP, Vista, Apple OSX?) I'm no computer expert but participate in various technical forums on the internet. For the moment, I will assume that you're using XP Pro (SP2).
    I'm behind a firewall and multiple anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Never had a virus/malware problem yet but thanks for the idea.
    One of them might be blocking certain websites. Your Hosts file could be corrupted or blocking sites you want to reach.

forgot to mention that I first noticed the problem when my AVG Pro would not update.
    Did it update properly the first time you installed it? It might be the culprit, or has been compromised by something earlier. Have you ever managed to do a complete scan of your system successfully? Do you have more than one anti-virus program installed and activated?

OK, let's down and dirty. If it were me, these are the steps I would try first:

1. Find and download a program called Dr Web (free edition). There are no regular up-dates as such, unless you buy the Pro version. The free download version is the latest and comes in at about 23MB. It doesn't install anything, runs as an executable program and makes a folder on your computer to store reports about what it finds and cures.

2. Turn off (and lose) your System Restore Points.

3. Boot your computer into Safe Mode and run a complete scan with Dr Web.

4. Re-boot your computer and see if your problems are still there. Hopefully not.

5. Remember to make a new System Restore Point if things are going OK.

If you still have a problem, try running other scans with your other security software in Safe Mode. And if nothing works, consider killing yourself, giving up computers forever or taking up surfing.

Sorry - I shouldn't sound so flippant. IF you use CCleaner on your machine, be extremely conservative about what you choose to delete. It's a great program used wisely. Very easy to screw your computer up if you're not super careful. (Always choose to save a backup when asked.)

I would also check that your firewall program, which ever one you have, is not blocking your missing sites.

I would love to know the final outcome if you follow my steps. And don't forget that there are many websites out there with far more detailed help for just about anything. One I've always found very helpful is Tech Support Guy. Easy to find with a simple Google.

Feel free to send me a PM if you get stuck.

:D

Regular

Hi Mike,

Not long ago I was dealing with Microsoft for something else and I was told:
    We always advice to run ONLY one anti-virus and one anti-spy on your computer.

Perhaps this will help. :roll:

L.
    First impressions are the most lasting

A quick check that may help is to use "ping". Again assuming Windows XP, from the Start menu, select Run, and type in cmd. You get this (usually black) text window and type in ping followed by the address of interest, for example "ping balipod.com". The attached image shows an example output - click on it for detail.

(I should note that many Internet cafes will not let you do this - but if its your own computer with standard Win XP, then I think you should succeed.)

If ping has associated an IP address number (83.149.91.97 in this example) with the name balipod.com, then this is good news. If it fails to show a number, then you have a DNS problem that you Service Provider needs to help you with.

If the IP number is there, but then it gives "timed out" messages, then it is confirming what you suspect - the connectivity via Speedy from your location to balipod in The Netherlands is not good. This could mean that physical links are broken or it could mean that routers used by your service provider are misconfigured, or it could mean something else.

[attachment=0:19yhf5wn]cmdwindow.jpg[/attachment:19yhf5wn]

The second command shown is TRACERT which traces the route from you to your target. In this example it starts showing Spicelink (in Lovina), then by using an IP number locator (here I use http://www.geobytes.com/ipLocator.htm) I find that at step 8 I am in Jakarta, at step 13 I am in SIngapore, at step 16 - NYC, and step 18 we get to Amsterdam.

In your case it may try the first few steps then fail to complete - but you will learn something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speedy?-cmdwindow.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast