User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bali Legal Expert Warns that Foreign Villa Owners in Bali Face a Rough Road Ahead

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the biggest problem is that a nominee type of land sale will never get to court. You can try & come to some agreement with your nominee or just walk away.
    I was told by a good notaries that the lease part is all you have. I think he said something like only a bank can loan money. Also your nominee's will should have you or your wife to inherit the land which gives you time to draw up a new agreement with your new nominee.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following this thread I got worried. In my Nominee agreement there appears to be a clause which says that if the law 'changes' then the Agreement becomes a 100 year lease. Is that a common clause in such Agreements? Anyone know?
    Barekarma

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@barekarma...clauses can differ very much from person to person and/or from notary to notary.
    if I remember right, I have some clause/paragraph that says something like ; if the law changes and foreigners are allowed to own land in their own name, then the name on the certificate will be changed into my name.
    Words like luck, chance and coincidence were invented to express the known effects of the unknown causes. (Voltaire)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As gilbert alludes.....any agreement between two parties should not be cause for worry unless it is clearly designed to circumvent the law where foreigners are not permitted to own/control Hak Milik property.

The OP's link concerned a case where some foreigners used the nominee method to control a resort of villas. This was not run as a proper business, did not submit taxes, and this opened a can of worms.

Many other absent foreign villa owners are doing something similar and no doubt will be entertained as suggested by the OP's link.

My worry is that foreigners who genuinely use a nominee to enable them to enjoy living in Bali, might be seen as unlawful. I hope this will not be the case and that any contract or agreement which does not attempt to circumvent law, or be an illegal agreement, will not be heard.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borborigmus View Post
    One legal way out of this impasse is to lease. Both parties to a long-term lease (unlike a foreigner "purchase" agreement) are fully legally protected. Typically a lease would run for 20-25 years, after which it can be renewed. In some ways it is similar to the ACT in Australia, where no-one can actually buy property - they lease it from the government.

Maybe it would be possible for you to execute a long-term lease with your nephew (since he is the legal owner of the property) which would give you both security of tenure and a great deal of flexibility in terms of renovations etc. Since you have already paid for the property, it makes sense that any payment for a lease term be purely nominal - a 'peppercorn' rental, so to speak.
    Thanks for the above quote borborigmus...which I hope you don't mind my edit just to keep it concise to the point.

Your advice has merit...The owner (my nephew) could easily sign a lease for a fixed sum with us for a certain amount of years. That would not constitute circumventing law and is an agreement between two willing parties that is not illegal. It would matter not if it was between two Balinese or two Javanese or one Ambonese and a couple of foreigners. He could also write into the contract that we could renovate or sublet....so long as the title to the property remained in his ownership, and he remained a WNI, we are not attempting to transfer title or control of the land.

I've read that some say this would need to be re-registered as Hak Pakai but I don't see why....it is a simple long term landlord/tenant agreement and not a change of property title.

Does anyone see any flaw in this approach?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the interviews with Rainy Hendriani at the bottom of the article that started this thread .She clearly outlines the difference between a Lease and Hak Pakai on Hak milik.