Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: visa for western husband married to indonesian

tom

Default visa for western husband married to indonesian

I am a U.S. citizen married to a sasak woman. We have 2 kids and will move to lombok in 1 1/2 yrs. My wife will operate a homestay and cafe we own. I will not work in the legal sense. I am wondering what visa is best for me and if you recomend hiring an agent to assist in the process.

Regular

Default visa for western husband married to indonesian.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I am a U.S. citizen married to a sasak woman. We have 2 kids and will move to lombok in 1 1/2 yrs. My wife will operate a homestay and cafe we own. I will not work in the legal sense. I am wondering what visa is best for me and if you recomend hiring an agent to assist in the process.
    Hi Tom, we have just completed the process - finally my husband has a so-called 'family kitas' - sponsored by me (Indonesian wife). All together, it took about 6 weeks to process. So, what I would suggest, come to Lombok with a 'social budaya' visa first. You can apply for this type of visa at the Indonesian Embassy (or maybe consulate - depends where you live) in the US. You will need a sponsor (Indonesian citizen who has a valid 'KTP' - which is an ID card). If your wife doesn't have a valid KTP, anybody else (best someone from her family) can give you a sponsor letter. This visa is valid for 2 months, and once you are in Lombok, you can extend this visa (on a monthly period) to up to 6 months validity. I would suggest, once you are here, you start with the process for the family kitas, which allows you to stay (not work though) for 1 year. For this - first thing first, your wife needs to have a valid KTP - then all the supporting documents (married certificate etc). We did use an agent for this - but it was still tedious, as always just stay patient during the process. hope this helps.

BKT

How much does a family Kitas cost?

kawanua

Quote Originally Posted by BKT View Post
    How much does a family Kitas cost?
    IDR 700.000 if you do it yourself.
    Read here if you want to have an idea about the procedure and steps it involves.
    Alternatively use an agent to deal with the paperwork if you don't speak Bahasa Indonesia. Though I know a fair number of people who have organised it themselves. It works OK as long as you bring with you a couple of prints of the law to literally explain them what they have to do. No kidding.

tom

Thank you. That is helpful. My wife has her I.D. here. When time gets a bit closer we will go to the consulate in Los Angeles and start the process. I will ask them if we can complete the entire family visa process here. They seem to be much more efficient than the authorities in Indonesia. They also don't require any "additional fees" as is often required to complete some processes inside Indonesia.
    We have been married for over 6 years and now have only 1 1/2 years until our planned move to Kuta Lombok takes place. Not time to get excited yet but it is getting closer and I am really looking forward to the move. Definantly not the place for everyone is what I tell inquisitive people. But so far it suits me well. Never lived there but have visited alot.

Regular

Default visa for western husband married to indonesian.

Thank you. That is helpful. My wife has her I.D. here. When time gets a bit closer we will go to the consulate in Los Angeles and start the process. I will ask them if we can complete the entire family visa process here. They seem to be much more efficient than the authorities in Indonesia. They also don't require any "additional fees" as is often required to complete some processes inside Indonesia.
    We have been married for over 6 years and now have only 1 1/2 years until our planned move to Kuta Lombok takes place. Not time to get excited yet but it is getting closer and I am really looking forward to the move. Definantly not the place for everyone is what I tell inquisitive people. But so far it suits me well. Never lived there but have visited alot.
    you are absolutely right, Tom - things keep on changing, let's hope that the process will be more efficient over here in future. As Atlantis said, you can certainly do the process on your own - much more cheaper than using an agent of course. However, one needs to have good nerves and thick skin - which we don't have :) Good luck with your move and I am sure that you will be happy in Lombok.

kawanua

We have been married for over 6 years and now have only 1 1/2 years until our planned move to Kuta Lombok takes place.
    Make sure your marriage has been registered in Indonesia if you intend to be sponsored by your wife for a KITAS.

tom

I may have to work on registering our marriage. That is an interesting topic. When we planned our narriage we wanted to marry in lombok and then stay in the U.S. My wife wouldn't be allowed by her family to travel without being married first. ofcourse she was an adult but unlike in the west she is still obligated to abide by her family's wishes or risk being dis-owned. Our U.S. immigration lawyer said it would take much longer to process the permenant residence required for a wife than it would for a fiance visa. We had a muslim marriage in Lombok, kept on the down low. Then we went to the U.S. and were married in the county court with no hoopla. We recognize our Muslim marriage as our annivirsary date. That is the short version. When we first attempted the down low I was approached by public service "opportunists" hoping for some extra cash.
    So now it looks like we need to do the opposite and register our marriage in Indonesia. I think we may need to register our U.S. marriage to keep things less complicated than they already are.

I would have thought your Muslim marraige would have been registered automatically?
    Regards Jimbo

kawanua

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I would have thought your Muslim marraige would have been registered automatically?
    Nikah siri, for example, is not considered as legal marriage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast