Tourist
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What has happened to Bali?

Does anyone else find it disturbing that 2 European blokes in their 20's, are facing a possible 10yr sentence for smoking some weed on a Friday night in Bali? (See below)

Bali News: Drug Bust Nets 2 Swedish Men at Kuta Hotel.
    (5/2/2009) Two Swedish tourists, Kjell Avald Holst (25) and Karl John Brownell (26), have had an abrupt change of accommodation during their Bali holiday following their arrest by Bali police at a popular Kuta hotel and their removal to holding cells at police headquarters.
    According to a Bali police spokesman, the two were arrested at 11:20 p.m. on Friday night, May 1, 2009, following reports of strange aromas emanating from one of the hotel's guest rooms.
    After searching the room, police confiscated 5.5 grams of marijuana hidden in a laptop computer bag with the tourist admitting they had just personally consumed part of the drugs, purchased earlier in Lombok.
    The men told officials they had bought 20 marijuana cigarettes for Rp. 400,000 (US$36) on Gili island, near Lombok from a tour guide.
    The two men, now facing prosecution under Indonesia's tough anti-narcotics regulations, could each pay fines of Rp. 500 million (US$45,500) and 10 years imprisonment.

What has happened to Bali? Is this just terrible bad luck (stupidity?) or does no-one smoke weed in Bali anymore??? I grew up on Sumatra, spent my teenage years in Bogor (Java), and spent a couple of summers in Bali (1970's), and we would trip down to the "Garden" many-a-morning for their **mushroom** omelettes, or spend a quiet evening with friends on the beach sharing some hash. No-one was ever afraid of police or narcs. Now I am not advocating drug use, I just find it ludicrious that these two guys are looking at this kind of sentence for something they can do legally in their neighboring homelands. So, is it completely verboten for those of you who live there? Are the Balinese (Indonesian?) drug laws so scary that no-one gets high anymore?

Insane Poster
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What has happened to Bali?

Quote Originally Posted by kacang
    Are the Balinese (Indonesian?) drug laws so scary that no-one gets high anymore?
    Some Swedes were high, for a while...

Maybe they didn't read the signs at the airport....

Yes, you can complain (afterwards) that the punishment is too much, and it should be upto European standards etc etc.

But, unless you live with your head buried in the sand, you know that in a lot of Asian countries the penalties for drug use are severe. If you still do drugs, you know what can happen.

Bad luck or stupidity?

Stupidity.

Nothing has happened to Bali. Something happened to stupid Swedes.
    That's It !!

Bert

It's five o'clock somewhere, sometime

BPI Bali - Lovina

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's ridiculous...people (tourist) think sometimes that things that are 'normal' in their home country, is also 'normal' here :roll: .
    I am not saying, Balinese don't smoke, or pop pills, but foreigners are maybe targeted more by the police,but I feel no pity for those unlucky bastards at all...."If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" :lol: :lol: .
    Words like luck, chance and coincidence were invented to express the known effects of the unknown causes. (Voltaire)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kacang those guys were probably unlucky to be caught like that,this is not legal in any part of indonesia and one shouldnt be too laid back when using these low grade drugs as everybody knows indonesia has a drug problem just like many nations around the world so one should be on there guard,it was very foolish for these guys to be doing this in there room they should have sat on the beach this would have been safer, now they will have a big problem and i can only hope they will get off with a huge fine and a few months in the slammer.... :shock:

Nantiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Tourist
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I guess what I mean is: maybe it's just the times, but we, (friends, both European and Indonesian) smoked quite openly without any consequence. I am free-er to partake, if I wish, in the US. I remember it being the other way around. Even though it is illegal, it is not considered some evil thing (although I am in California...). Again, I'm not advocating lots of folk laying around stoned all the time, just that it seems a bit medieval that a couple of joints gets that kind of sentence.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kacang bali is a worldclass holiday destination for young, old, and families those 70s attitudes have gone not just from indonesia but from most of the world :(
    Now we have a world full of political correctness :shock:
    You should know the dangers of drugs by just looking in your own backyard :|
    You cant blame indonesia for wanting to protect its young :!:

They can thank thier luckstars they were doing it privately maybe the judge will be abit lenient :|

Nantiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Regular
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kacang,

Although I'm from Holland (quite liberal concerning drugs) I know very well not to bring nor use drugs in countries such as Indonesia. It's very clear and well known to everyone around the world the penalties for drug use are very high so they can't say they haven't been warned.

Like Bert said... just stupidity and I think ignorance as well.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else find it disturbing that 2 European blokes in their 20's, are facing a possible 10yr sentence for smoking some weed on a Friday night in Bali?
    No. I can not believe anyone travelling in Indonesia and into that sort of thing does not know the risk they take and the possible penalties they may Incur. if you take the chance - dont complain afterwards.
    http://www.mimpimanis.com/

Regular
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the Balinese (Indonesian?) drug laws so scary that no-one gets high anymore?

Pretty much since the Corby Saga and earlier for that matter.

Does anyone else find it disturbing that 2 European blokes in their 20's, are facing a possible 10yr sentence for smoking some weed on a Friday night in Bali?

Not really. As BV says its very clear to all tourists when you land Domestic and International - and these guys would have got the drum twice seeing as though they came back from Mataram.

Must say though, pretty stiff to get caught scoring the rubbish available on Gili. Such a waste and I agree with the ludicrous sentencing. But they are guests in this country and rule are rules.

Hopefully these guys and their families can handle the long haul ahead. :cry:

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an interesting side note to this discussion: did it occur to any of you to ask where these draconian law originate from? As the thread so poignantly points out, in the past it was common for tourists to smoke some weed and enjoy the mushroom omelets with out fear of arrest. And that pretty much all over the developing world.

These legal changes were mostly brought about through pressure from western countries on the developing world. Legal changes "suggested" by donor countries (US primarily) hinged to aid, financial, military and legal - as many of the 3rd world police forces where also trained in the US.

So just chalk it up to the success of democracy around the world (tongue so firmly planted in cheek I can taste last nights whiskey) and the advance of freedom (land of the free, home of the brave :P ).

They should thank their lucky stars that they weren't caught in the US where they would not only risk getting ten years but also get to enjoy the pleasures of forced sodomy in those wonderfully named "institutions of correction" they have there.

I feel much safer at night with these kinds of people firmly locked up, don't you? :twisted: