Thread: Posting prescription medication

Regular

Default Posting prescription medication

I'm trying to having some prescription medications posted or couriered over from Australia.

I'll leave it up to the sender to determine the best method to despatch with regard to cost, speed, regulations etc. I'm primarily concerned about the customs declaration and was thinking it might be best to write prescription medication with Dr's letter enclosed. I'd be interested to hear from anyone that might have first hand experience with this or constructive thoughts/advice.

I'll be having the parcel addressed to the person named on the prescription at a hard address in Seminyak - unless someone advises me that it will not get through.

If it helps, I've had the medications prescribed here, so know that they are legal (generic) but they are very expensive.
    I can get the medications prescribed and filled in Australia basically free of charge and I'd very much like to avoid making the trip.

Looking forward to responses before I get the ball rolling on this one.

Cheers & thanks in advance.

I had prescription medicine sent to me by express post from Australia a couple of years ago. I had my pharmacist photocopy the prescription and attach a letter from himself stating that the medication was essential etc etc. Arrived without a problem.

Regular

Thanks Liebling.

A little further research and it seems that the first big hurdle this medication will face will be getting out of Australia where it turns out posting prescription medicines is illegal. Well posting medications on the PBS is anyway (Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme). Primarily, it appears, to prevent Govt subsidised drugs from being sold on the black market OS at a substantially higher price. If the medication were to be confiscated before leaving Australia - it could attract a very hefty fine or two years in prison. Having said this it doesn't seem black & white and my brother is going to try get more information on this with consideration to our circumstances.

What I'm less confident about is; what will happen if the medication makes it out Aus but gets apprehended by Indonesian immigration?

I seriously doubt that there would be any real danger of a jail term in either country but we can't really afford the time if the medication were to get confiscated.

It's not looking good...I'll get a price on a four month supply of medication here and then weigh our options.

Cheers.

I will be back in Bali on 24 Dec for 2 weeks. Let me know if I can help by bringing it with me. Happy to help. You will have to get it posted to WA.