Thread: Nyepi The Balinese New Year next week

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nyepi The Balinese New Year next week

Hari Raya Nyepi - Nyepi Ceremony is a Hindu Day of Silence or the Hindu New Year in the Balinese Saka calendar. The largest celebrations are held in Bali as well as in Balinese Hindu communities around Indonesia. On New Year's Eve the villages are cleaned, food is cooked for 2 days and in the evening as much noise is made as possible to scare away the devils. On the following day, Hindus do not leave their homes, cook or engage in any activity. Streets are deserted, and tourists are not allowed to leave hotel complexes. No arrival nor departure flights at Ngurah Rai Airport in Denpasar - Bali. No tours activities...

Nyepi Day Calender :

Saturday, 05 March 2011 (Caka Year 1933)
    Friday, 23 March 2012 (Caka Year 1934)
    Tuesday, 12 March 2013 (Caka Year 1935)
    Monday, 31 March 2014 (Caka Year 1936)
    Saturday, 21 March 2015 (Caka, Year 1937)
    Wednesday, 9 March 2016 (Caka Year 1938)
    Tuesday, 28 March 2017 (Caka Year 1939)
    Saturday, 17 March 2018 (Caka Year 1940)
    Friday, 5 April 2019 (Caka Year 1941)
    Wednesday, 23 March 2020 (Caka 1942)

Nyepi Day (Balinese New Year) is also determined using the Balinese calendar, the eve of Nyepi falling on the night of the new moon whenever it occurs around March/April each year. Therefore, the date for Nyepi changes every year, and there is not a constant number of days difference between each Nyepi as there is for such days as Galungan and Kuningan. To find out when Nyepi falls in a given year, you will need information on the cycles of the moon for that year. Whenever the new moon falls between mid-March and mid-April, that night will be the night of great activity and exorcism island-wide, while the next day will be the day of total peace and quiet, where everything stops for a day.

What should the visitors do during Nyepi Day or "Day of Silence" ? In accordance with local regulations, all visitors must remain within the property's premises during the Hindu New Year or Nyepi Day, from midnight of one day before Nyepi Day to early morning on the next day. Check-in and check-out will not be possible on Nyepi Day. Only very limited of lights may be considerable in the hotel's rooms whilst Balinese will have no light nor fire and make any noise all day and night.
    source: Nyepi The Balinese New Year
    -ogoh-ogoh-jpg
    dont' think about the past, don't focus on the future because your are missing the persent. http://www.lokalliving.com

Regular
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RhysG View Post
    On New Year's Eve the villages are cleaned, food is cooked for 2 days and in the evening as much noise is made as possible to scare away the devils. source: Nyepi The Balinese New Year
    -ogoh-ogoh-jpg

please correct me if im wrong - as im not a hindu ...., but ,

I always thought noise etc was made to " attract / summons " - ALL the demons / devils / evil spirits ..., not scare them away ..,

Because when the demons / evil spirits come out to play the next day to try to cause mischief ...., they find the island empty ( as there is no one about and only silence ) , which is meant to make them think that everyone has left the island , so the evil spirits / demons soon become bored as they cannot cause their mischief ..., so instead they go away / leave the island all together , to search for mischief elsewhere .
    Last edited by balidavo; 16-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Tourist
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as i understood (correct me if i'm wrong please) this year Nyepi is on 22-23 of march :)

Do you think it's ok to be in my backyard (pool) that day?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramona, no worries about being in your pool on nyepi...
    last year, I gave a BBQ for the village...music playing, people walking in and out, drinking, eating, gambling (cards)..
    probably this year again.
    Words like luck, chance and coincidence were invented to express the known effects of the unknown causes. (Voltaire)

Tourist
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert de jong View Post
    Ramona, no worries about being in your pool on nyepi...
    last year, I gave a BBQ for the village...music playing, people walking in and out, drinking, eating, gambling (cards)..
    probably this year again.
    Wow, i've been told you'll get a fine for being outside... Atleast that's what they say happened last year...
    I guess that BBQ is nowhere near Canggu-area than?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona_ View Post
    Wow, i've been told you'll get a fine for being outside... Atleast that's what they say happened last year...
    I guess that BBQ is nowhere near Canggu-area than?
    depeneds where u are if u in a village and out some where like singaraja it ok but seminyak kuta place with lots of villa and hotels wont take it cuz that every day life for them so it the one day where they can tell every to shut the hell up an they have to. to the small village where there not alot of villa and hotel, most of the time after to you can go walk outside and stuff but must be quite, hell in medewi they go surfing.

but if you are truly Balinese you will stay indoors and even some of them may fast, cuz it also a day to get rid of the demones in your body too
    dont' think about the past, don't focus on the future because your are missing the persent. http://www.lokalliving.com

Tourist
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I think I'll stay on the save side and hang on the pool that day than ;), eventhough i'm in in a quit area (as in; not very touristy).

(I was fasting for a month during Ramadan while I was in Egypt last year, if one day only is enough for Bali, guess that's a guarantee for me being demon free? ).

How does it work on taking care of animals on those days? I live/work in a stable, and ofcourse the horses have to get out, get fed, and cleaned. I guess the guys working here know, but i'm curious...

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona_ View Post
    Hmm, I think I'll stay on the save side and hang on the pool that day than ;), eventhough i'm in in a quit area (as in; not very touristy).

(I was fasting for a month during Ramadan while I was in Egypt last year, if one day only is enough for Bali, guess that's a guarantee for me being demon free? ).

How does it work on taking care of animals on those days? I live/work in a stable, and ofcourse the horses have to get out, get fed, and cleaned. I guess the guys working here know, but i'm curious...
    hahaha gusse you must be free hahaha
    as long as you dnt leave you property you should be fine, which stables you working at in canggu ?

Tourist
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm now i'm really curious how the rules are regarding taking care of animals during Nyepi, will ask the guys tomorrow :) .
    (I'm staying at Canggu Asri; the stables here are newly build. This is the website is Bali Equestrian Centre )

Regular
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that for one day each year it should not be too difficult to respect local customs, and do as the locals do. Stay indoors, don't be noisy, don't show any lights after dark, etc. Enjoy the peace and quiet, lack of traffic - it's time out, and can not use some of that every now and then?