Thread: Kuntilanak!!

Regular

Default Kuntilanak!!

An Indonesian friend was here on Tuesday night and he made mention of his experience with Kuntilanak, Ive seen the movie however not knowing the back story this made absolutley no sense to me.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to check Borborigmus' blog and he has put up a new one!

Fighting The Fear Factor – Phobias In Paradise Borborigmus in Bali

Turns out he had an encounter with Kuntilanak..

Has anyone come across this before or do you think its a load of rubbish?? What is so awful about this "Ghost" ?

personally don't believe in those story's...be it kuntilanak, pocongk, tuyul, babi nyepet or any other one
    imho, these story's can be somewhat considered the same as werewolfs/vampires and the likes back in europe.
    boogeyman in the US etcetc...
    don't read between the lines..i think the words are clear enough...:)

Has anyone come across this before or do you think its a load of rubbish?? What is so awful about this "Ghost" ?
    Yes, and maybe both.

Probably the closest thing to this in Bali are "leyak". Another type in Java are called "tuyul" (they make things disappear, like your money/wallet). More like naughty and annoying imps.

And funny you should mention this now. I've got a TV going on in the background and the program is about "ghosts" and Lady Ga-Ga, Michael Jackson, et al.

Just finished reading the latest stuff about the 3-year-old girl "mysteriously" riddled with nails in South Sulawesi.

The thing is that many Indonesians seem to be obsessed with ghosts, magic and "evil spirits" of one sort or another. A lot of Balinese are, too.

I find it rather odd to be surrounded by "adults" who are still mortally afraid of the dark. If more Balinese turned off more lights, the island might have more electricity to go around. Should change to "energy-efficient" light bulbs.

The worst thing Indonesian "ghosts" can do is knock off your money. At least, that's been my experience.
    Oh - apart from the "real" ones that scare the shit out of you.

I mean by that that not every strange "thing" can be explained by modern science. Read some quantum physics to see how weird the world we live in might actually be.

Recently some scientists have been theorizing about a different universe that existed before the so-called Big Bang. Makes a little more "sense" to me, until they start talking about pieces of that universe co-existing with the one we're supposedly in. Different "universes" - different "laws of physics".

Another "spooky" thing is that as far as we know, everything we see in space happened before. Light from our Sun takes eight minutes to get here. Light from the rest of the "known" universe took much longer. Maybe it's not even there any more and we don't know yet.

OK - I'm going to give up drinking (again), soon.
    The guy in the wheel-chair with the robot voice confuses me.

Regular

Personally, I have never had any experience, incidents or interactions with ghosts but Im not sure what I believe.. I know of friends childrens describing to the T dead relatives/friends who have passed years before they were concieved and talking to them in their bedrooms and then dogs.. quiet placid dogs just start stalking thigns up and down or in a corner (my dogs onlydone this once though) so im a bit up in the air about it.

I certainly dont live my life to please a ghost or fear a spirit however I havent disocunted them completely.

Well count me among the skeptics. But Borborigmus writes well. For example,
    It worked for me my aversion to Bintang singlets was so debilitating that I was actually forgetting to enjoy Bali. But continual exposure to these disturbing garments impossible to avoid in much of South Bali has de-sensitised me to the point where I can now see one without flinching. Much.