Thread: Anjing Kampung

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anjing Kampung

Anyone here with a local dog? My dog is almost a year old and she has the strangest eating habits. When it comes to dinner time I usually feed her rice and chicken heart mixed together. I noticed she's never in any hurry to eat it and she tries her best to pick the meat out and leave the rice. A fussy dog may not sound strange but its the other stuff she's eating that bothers me, for example plastic bowls, when we moved into our place we had 5 plastic bowls we used for feeding her, now we use glass ones as she's eaten them all. Other things she eats are paper, cardboard, glass, wood, rubber, metal, ball's of hair, dirty plasters, cockroaches, basically anything she can fit in her mouth. Right now I can hear her chewing on the bathroom mat. Luckily for us the only thing she's eaten that was important to us was my power adapter for my mac.

My question is do these dogs grow out of this behavior?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like one way or another it could be a very expensive pet you have there. As I haven't made friends with it, you don't want to hear what my advice would be. Good luck!
    As to the chicken hearts and rice; well you can get rice anytime outside peoples houses on little plates. But chicken hearts must be the equivalent of truffles to a dog. Try chicken heads.
    Last edited by mat; 20-09-2011 at 02:47 AM.

CanonMan

I haven't figured out our dog's diet either. Whilst not as destructive as yours our dog, owned since a pup and originating from Serangen, but is she picky. She won't eat Pedigree Chum, any of the other canned meats or even fried, boiled, roasted or otherwise prepared chicken. She goes gaga over rice for a day or so and then goes days without touching anything....flumoxed to coin a phrase. She's almost a year old and fully fit so not sure what to do, if anything.

Cheers,
    'Cam'

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Sounds like one way or another it could be a very expensive pet you have there. As I haven't made friends with it, you don't want to hear what my advice would be. Good luck!
    As to the chicken hearts and rice; well you can get rice anytime outside peoples houses on little plates. But chicken hearts must be the equivalent of truffles to a dog. Try chicken heads.
    We usually only give her one chicken heart or liver mixed in with rice every time we feed her. We buy them in big packs at Lotte Mart which works out to be around 2000 RP for every meal, so not all that expensive. I try not to feed her any bones, although I'm sure her stomach would have no problem digesting them. She's actually not as bad as I described her in my first post. %99 of the time she'll only eat things she finds on the ground and even then she'll parade past you and show you what she has before sitting in the corner and eating it. She's leant that eating my computer cables will only get her a smack as well so she doesn't do that anymore either.

Anyone have problems teaching their dog to do anything? My dog will come when called and knows what the word NO means but I can't for the life of me get her to sit. Scout said local dogs are smart but I've yet to see any proof.

CanonMan

Getting them to sit or lay down or stay is simple. I use those little dried food treats. Takes about ten minutes. Give the instruction and then place them in the position related to the command followed by the treat. I found after about five dry runs the penny dropped and she started to understand the game. My dog also 'talks' to me to tell me when she's hungry, just a shame she can't convey what she feels like eating!! She also gives her Paw when she wants a belly rub. She's about a year old and now has these commands down without the need for treats.

Cheers,
    'Cam'

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@BKT...maybe your doggie needs some playtime, toys will help with this...so she/he learns this I can bite/destroy and that I cannot.
    by playing you also drain energy from the dog, wich reduces the eating/destroying stuff.

As for the sitting, make her stand in front of you..tell her to sit (ofcourse she doesn't) and then push her but down to a sitting position, then when she sits (either by herself or you holding dwon her butt) give her a treat (coconut cookie :D )...repeat this a couple of times, and she will make the connection between the word sit means butt to the floor and then I get a treat.
    That's how I learned 2 of my balidogs to sit, come, lay down, getting a ball or stuffed animal..
    goodluck, be patient but firm...not harsh but rewards will ease training your dog.
    Words like luck, chance and coincidence were invented to express the known effects of the unknown causes. (Voltaire)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Smart bali dog!!

Hi BKT,

Bali dogs are Alpha dogs, and extremely smart. Yours thinks it is in charge, and therefore will tease you by doing the exact opposite of what you want!!! eg chewing bowls, mats and anything else inappropriate.

I have trained dogs (in a past life!!) for defence purposes, the blind, and security. You have to be in charge from the beginnning. You need, especially with the strong will of a bali dog, a chocker chain and a strong lead. 3 times a day, walking, stop encourage the dog to sit, by placing your hand on the rump and with a slight soft push, then a treat, continue this for approx 5 min in the beginning then increase the time. You can get the dog to drop, stay, and come to you on command, this obviously takes time.

Never get angry with your dog, using its name eg: you naughty boy sam!! yes you can lay down the law, but use another name...the dog understands that something is wrong, but doesnt associate the anger in your voice with him/her, therefore establishing a firm hold on their personality without making the dog cringe or cower when you raise your voice.

I feed my bali dogs with 1 kg chicken heads, .5 kg rice and 3 pkt frozen vegetables. I cook the chicken pieces with the rice and frozen vegetables along with vege stock cubes for approx 2 hour, and then freeze into portions. when the dogs are young i add some vitamin drops that are used for babies!!

Games and hide and seek, they love it.... wear them out so that they dont get bored and most of all enjoy, Bali dogs are a delight.

Ps: I have used these training tactics with domestic dogs from a poodle to a whippet!! dogs love to please and when they know what you want them to do, they are "happy little campers"
    Last edited by scout; 20-09-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    I have just learnt that pleasing everyone is impossible. But, pissing them off is a piece of cake

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my dog is just stupid, I've tried the pushing down routine with snacks etc but it doesn't seem to work. I taught my wife's dog's who are some what kampung to sit and shake hands in no time but mine just doesn't seem to get the point.

One thing I did teach her though is to sit on my bike so I can take her places, I've taken her from Denpasar to Singaraja a number of times and she hasn't yet attempted to jump off.

Just wondering if theres a difference from one breed of Kampung dog to the next. Mine although not too bright she loves people, if theres someone knew in the house she won't leave them alone. I think Markit would love her.

-lucky-jpg

Regular
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy BKT, l have 2 Bali dogs, one was from the animal shelter in Renon@ 9 years ago , she was recued from the beach at Kuta. The younger one is a cross with a stray and a Kintamani...looks like a border collie.
    These 2 dogs just roam the gang and play with the other dogs in our gang.
    Before we renovated our house they were allowed inside as the house was semi open.So when we returned to our newly renovated house we made a rule that the dogs were longer allowed in the house. This house is not open, so we left the front door open and told them not to come inside...well they didn't. Until this day they sit just in front of the door, but they will not come in.So who said they are untrainable.l was surprised.
    Maybe l am the Bali dog whisperer...ha ha

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@BKT
    Anyone have problems teaching their dog to do anything? My dog will come when called and knows what the word NO means but I can't for the life of me get her to sit. Scout said local dogs are smart but I've yet to see any proof.
    I have lived with three different Balinese street dogs and found them to be oddly incalcitrant animals (somewhat resistant to "authority", not unlike cats in that regard). Some folklore suggests that dogs look up to humans, cats look down on us and pigs look us in the eye.

I haven't been able to get a Balinese dog to fetch a ball, but getting them to sit is not really a brainer, if you teach them early enough. One of my dogs ate nearly everything - the mudflaps off my car, the grills off my stereo speakers, three handphones, started on my car's exhaust pipe and most amazingly, bit through an active electrical cable, shook his head and survived. He also ate rocks, coral, shoes (of course), and enjoyed chewing metal things. I have no idea why and doubt that it had anything to do with a vitamin deficiency. That was Arno, a great character who unfortunately succumbed to tick poisoning.

My first Balinese street dog was traumatised before I got her. Some Balinese kids had put firecrackers up her bum and lit them for "fun". She reminded me of Australian dingoes. Very suspicious of humans, but a fearless fighter. A local was walking his pet something-or-other dog on a leash, renowned for viciousness and warned us to keep our little "dingo" at a safe distance. Well, the two dogs didn't like each other and the "little dingo" attacked the much bigger dog and bit its neck. Never saw the owner or his dog again.
    Sophie had a rough time with a particular "vet" from Ubud who, (we only found out much later), was injecting agricultural pesticide for a relatively minor skin condition. She disappeared and died while we were overseas, in the "care" of some Balinese pembantus of a friend of ours, who was also overseas at the time.

Now, "Luna Maya", our current dog, didn't come with personality or eating disorders. However, I call her "opposite dog". Ask her to come to you and she runs the other way. She understands "sit", "out", and a few other things, when it suits her. She eats peoples' sandals, of course, and loves fish. Have to be careful leaving some salty fish within her reach - she'll jump up on the stove and steal some. She also likes to eat my wife's bras on the clothes line. Another of her traits is to sleep on top of tables.

I am definitely not an "expert" on dogs. I've had many different ones in my life. For some reason or other, I've noticed that dogs generally seem to like me. On that note, I've looked into topics related to the history of dogs and found some surprising stuff, (when it comes to Balinese dogs). The following are some excerpts from various sources which I find very interesting. I apologise for not citing everything properly. Any typical Google search on "origin of Balinese dogs", "proto dogs", etc, will come up with much more.

"A fiercely independent breed, Kintamani's can be aggressively territorial while at the same tender and affectionate with their own families. While most dog breeds are disinclined to climbing and heights, Kintamani's will climb across roofs and spend parts of the day happily installed sitting or sleeping atop a garden wall."
    "Bali’s dogs are not like other dogs. For ten centuries and more they have lived not just outside the homes, but also beyond the village walls in semi feral packs, diseased and scavenging. Six hundred thousand of them, one to every five people, roamed the island - a law unto themselves."
    The following link is rather technical, but still interesting.
    BioMed Central | Full text | Genetic variation analysis of the Bali street dog using microsatellites

The conclusion from that study is as follows:

"This study into the diversity and relationship of the Bali Street Dog to other domestic and feral dog populations shows the Bali Street Dog to be highly diverse and related to populations of East Asian origin. These results indicate that a viable and diverse population of dogs existed on the island of Bali prior to its geographic isolation approximately 12,000 years ago and has been little influenced by domesticated European dogs since that time."
    A few other snippets:

"Bali’s dogs are the richest pool of genetic diversity of all dogs in the world. The two types of Balinese dogs, the Balinese street dog and the Highland Kintamani, have been living on the island, virtually unaltered, for at least five thousand years. According to anthropologist Lawrence Blair: "Whereas our ‘breed’ dogs are only a couple of centuries old, genetic research reveals that their ancestry (Balinese dog) can be traced back some 15.000 years to before the last Ice Age."
    "Dr. Pederson from the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory at U.C Davis, California notes that: "The true pure breeds are these indigenous Bali-dogs. Their lineage goes all the way back to the first proto-dog that evolved from the wolves.""
    Oh...and yes. Sometimes our Balinese dogs are stupid.